Clinical Education, in partnership with The Institute For Functional Medicine (IFM), is responsible for the management and organisation of the AFMCP™-UK in the UK and EU.
Clinical Education is a limited by Guarantee Company, with a ‘not for profit’ structure, created for the delivery of medical and nutritional education. Clinical Education is responsible for the organisation of the Applying Functional Medicine in Clinical Practice course. Their role is to ensure that intensive training programmes reflects the aims and objectives enshrined in the practice of functional medicine and make it relevant to the UK and EU attendees.
We are dedicated to ensure all attendees experience the very best outcomes and the smoothest of registration and care possible. This is an exciting programme for both organisations as all involved are passionate about the role of the functional medicine model in assisting practitioners and their patients achieving the best health outcomes possible. Our collective experiences and drive will, we believe, produce a learning experience that fulfills your expectations, and assists you with furthering the care you offer your patients, producing a greater degree of clinical satisfaction for all parties.
The Clinical Education team is also responsible for the management of postgraduate educational credits and the securing of appropriate CPD awards. Claire Gardin is working to achieve a smooth transfer between different organisations of the credits awarded to ensure all attendees are able to apply them to their principal professional practice CPD annual requirements.
The day-to-day management of the AFMCP-UK event and the care and support of the attendees will be managed by the key team members, and will be supported by the exhibitor and sponsor team headed up by Adele Wolstenhulme.
International Education Partners are selected by IFM to advance the important strategic objective to expand the reach and capacity of Functional Medicine globally. International Education Partners are vetted and selected based on IFM’s mission, values, education standards. The International Education Partners must have the financial resources to host an IFM program internationally.
Clinical Education Team
MICHAEL ASH, DO. ND. BSc (Hons) RNT
- Registered and insured with the General Osteopathic Council & The British Naturopathic Association.
- Registered Medico Legal Expert in Osteopathy/Naturopathy
- Registered with the British Association of Applied Nutrition & Nutritional Therapy
- Registered with The Nutritional Therapy Council
- Registered with The Complementary & Natural Health Care Council
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine and an elected member of the RSM’s Food and Health Council
- Fellow of the Institute of Optimum Nutrition
Michael is a member of:
- The Society of Mucosal Immunology
- The American Academy of Science
- The New York Academy of Science
- The Psychoneuroimmunology Research Society
- The Institute for Functional Medicine
- British Society for Environmental Medicine
- The British Holistic Medical Association
- The Institute of Directors
Event and Resource Manager:
CLAIRE GARDIN, BA (Hons)
Claire is responsible for organising the venue, managing the registrations, and keeping our social media up to speed. The day-to-day running of AFMCP-UK, planning, liasing with IFM, and generally keeping the essential aspects of the administration under control.
Leah is a key member of the team, taking bookings and answering general queries.
Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM) Education Team
The IFM educational team is tasked with a number of key components to ensure that the training of attendees in the principles and practices of Functional Medicine is comprehensive. IFM is a non-profit organisation whose mission is to serve the highest expression of individual health through wide spread adoption of Functional Medicine as the standard of care. Following are some of the pressing problems facing health care today, and functional medicine’s responses to these problems:
- The cost of managing complex, chronic disease will bankrupt healthcare systems as our population ages unless we help people maximise healthy aging and reduce their expenditure on drugs.
The Institute for Functional Medicine (IFM) trains physicians and other healthcare practitioners to identify and heal the underlying clinical imbalances of chronic disease, creating momentum toward health.
- There is a long (sometimes decades-long) gap between the emergence of research pointing to new treatments and their adoption by the practitioner community, particularly for the nutritional and dietary interventions.
IFM helps to shorten the lag time by emphasising the absolute necessity of understanding the emerging research in biochemistry and physiology in the context of the clinical setting, with a focus on diet and lifestyle.
- Health and disease prevention are largely the results of healthy living, but the healthcare system does not focus on lifestyle change or the underlying cause of disease.
IFM helps clinicians teach their patients to make lifestyle changes that are essential to their future wellbeing.
What Else Does Clinical Education Do?
Postgraduate Clinical Education
We organise international and national seminars, as well as provide electronic access to recent research papers and provide professional-to-professional clinical support.
We recognise that there is an inevitable ‘tension’ between education and marketing, both real and perceived. To meet this as fairly as we can, we continue to evolve the following model to achieve the best educational outcome for the attending healthcare practitioners. Clinical Education was separated from the commercial company to permit a greater range of educational experiences and to build on the hard earned reputation as an independent deliverer of expert led Nutritional Education. We offer our international seminars as platforms for scientists and practitioners who have a comprehensive knowledge of nutritional medicine based on their research and/or clinical experiences. These seminars attract CPD accreditation; recognising bodies may include the Royal College of Physicians and the British Association for Applied Nutrition & Nutritional Therapy.
National seminars are presented using UK practitioners with expertise in areas of health management and, where possible, research as well. These courses are more focused on the developing ideas in clinical practice and have a mix of case histories and science. The seminars attract CPD credits from the British Association of Applied Nutritional Therapy (BANT) and the Complementary Medicine Association.
What Can You Expect?
International seminars presented by outstanding speakers from the world of nutritional medicine. Topics cover either established or brand new interventional strategies using nutrition as a key lifestyle modifier to optimise health. All our seminars are supported by professional materials: relevant documents, protocol summaries, product information and charts. All our events are recorded so you can benefit from them even if you cannot attend.
Latest and most relevant information from the world of nutritional medicine. News, Abstracts and Reviews are added to our ever-evolving web site: www.clinicaleducation.org on an ongoing basis in our resources section providing you with up-to-date content from leading scientists around the world.
Clinical Education Technical Support Team:
- Antony Haynes BA (Hons) Dip ION RNT mBANT mCNHC
- Karen Devine Dip N. TH Dip N. MED Dip Homotox mCHNC RNT
- Leonie Ash Dip ION mBANT mCNHC RNT
- Miller Rogers Dip N. TH. Dip N. MED mCNHC m BANT RNT
- Christine Bailey BSc(Hons) MSc PGCE mBANT mCNHC RNT